The global refugee crisis is a complex topic and many people want to take action, but aren’t sure where to start. That’s why we’ve created this list of actions that you can take right now to stand #WithRefugees.
1. Get educated! Did you know that there are around 6,000 refugees and asylum seekers in Hong Kong, but less than 1% of them have their claims recognised? Check out the UNHCR’s website on global statistics or our website for information specific to refugees in Hong Kong.
2. Register for our annual RUN Charity Race (9th November 2019). The Race combines the thrill of a physical challenge, inspiring mountain-top views, a delicious meal prepared by refugees at the finish line, and feel good vibes from supporting RUN’s sports and education programmes to rehabilitate vulnerable refugees in Hong Kong. P.s. All registrations before World Refugee Day (20th June) will receive a free RUN buff! Find out more.
3. Get your friends together for a movie night. Through storytelling, we can find empathy and understanding. Two of our favourite movies that explore the themes of immigration and refugees include The Good Lie and The Staging Post.
4. And speaking of movie nights…turn it into a fundraiser for RUN! We depend on the generosity of individuals in the community to keep our lights on and keep our sports and education programmes running throughout the year. Dedicate your next event, fitness challenge, or bake sale to RUN by starting a fundraiser.
5. Immerse yourself in the lives of refugees living in Hong Kong in our Great Refugee Challenge. Gather your friends and/or colleagues for a fun, team-building activity outdoors in this challenge that’s organised by refugees to benefit refugees. Find out more.
The five actions we’ve listed above are just some ideas to get you started – we’re sure you can come up with more. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more ideas on how you can stand #WithRefugees in your daily life.